Messenger Bag #1 Pattern Making


Here are photos of my patterns and finished product. 

I ended up cutting my straps out a bit longer than my pattern because I felt they were too short.
You will need to cut out 2 of these.
Dont forget to iron all your pieces after turning right side out.


You will need to cut out 2 of these.
Don't forget to sew right side facing right side. Only stitch along the side and bottom leaving the top open to flip right side out.


Each pocket needs 2 pieces, which means their are 3 pockets, 1 big and 2 small for the sides. Their should be 6 pattern pieces total. Sew them rights sides together.
NOTE: The large pocket needs to be sewn on the top, and sides leaving the bottom open. The small pockets ONLY need a stitch along the tops. Fold over and iron. The side pockets will be sewn into the sides on the bag. You can add a small stitch detail on the outside of the pockets if you like.
I will show you how to attach the pockets into the bag in the next video in sha Allah.
Notice small stitch detail that I was talking about roughly a couple centimeters down from the top.


You will need 4 of these. Two for the outside, front and back and two for the inside, front and back.
These will be sewn onto the "Side and Back" patterns.


This is the most difficult part of the tutorial in my opinion. Its working with the "round" of the bottom corners of the bag while sewing the bottom/sides. I will go over this in my next video in sha Allah.
You will need 2 of these.

My suggestions:

1. When trying to make a pattern use a long straight ruler, not a measuring tape. Write how many pieces to cut out on your patterns so you don't forget. Also try using paper grocery bags or a poster board material so you can have more structure when cutting out your fabric, and you can keep the patterns for future use. 

2. Use a fun fabric that has structure. Stay away from stretchy, thin materials. Also be creative, try using a different pattern for the inside or even a solid. I just used the fabric I had for convenience.

3. Sew everything in the order presented.
(Strap, lid, pockets, and then front/back, inside/outside to the side/bottom, inside/outsides)
Once all the easy stuff is sewn the assembly is what takes the most time and patients.

For this video and post I want you to only concentrate on making your pattern and sewing the easy stuff first. 

Have Fun!!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts